Farmers’ markets have huge heads of wonderful cauliflower now. Here’s a great cauliflower recipe for you to try from Mark Estee, chef and owner of Campo in Reno, Nevada.
Preheat oven to 500 degrees.
1) Cut 1 head cauliflower into florets
2) To make the dressing, whisk together the following ingredients:
– 3 garlic cloves, minced
– 3 anchovies, minced [or if you are vegetarian as I am, to get the salty taste, substitute nori strips, miso, Kalamata olives, or capers]
– 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
– 3 Calabrian chilies, minced [These are small, round, red chilies that are touted as the “best tasting hot chilies.” However, they are hard to find outside Italy or big places such as N.Y. city. Most of us can substitute quality dried red chili flakes].
– 2 Tablespoons crushed red pepper
– 3 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
– 1 cup olive oil
3) Toss dressing with cauliflower florets and roast until tender, about 10 minutes.
4) Remove from oven and top with a few tablespoons of bread crumbs.
– from Spirit Southwest Airlines, July 2012, p. 46.
Not only is cauliflower tasty, but it is also healthy. A 1/2 cup of cooked cauliflower has 14 calories, 1.1 g of protein, 2.6 g of carbohydrate, 0.3 g of fat and 1.4 g of fiber. Cauliflower’s low calorie and carbohydrate content helps control weight and blood sugar. <http://www.livestrong.com/article/486204-how-is-cauliflower-good-for-us/#ixzz20BIW0zic>
Enjoy this wonderful summer vegetable.