This weekend, the second annual Bali Vegan Festival was held in Ubud. It was fabulous – with speakers, classes, talks, movies, music, food, and, of course, ideas.
To show you how wonderful – and easy – making healthy vegan food can be, here’s a recipe from the Bali Vegan Festival program.
The raw, vegan soup is a creation of Chef Arif Springs and his team at Taksu, spa and restaurant and a sponsor of the festival. http://www.taksuspa.com/.
- 2 tbsp cashew nuts
- 1 tsp virgin coconut oil
- 1 cup coconut water
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 4 stalks lemongrass
- 1 tsp honey (or if you are vegan, substitute agave nectar, coconut nectar, or maple syrup)
- Pinch of diced garlic
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- Sea salt to taste
- Zucchini, cucumber and/or coriander for garnish
- Soak cashews in water for two hours.
- Cut a thin slice from a clove of garlic and dice finely.
- Juice lemongrass (strain out the pulp).
- Blend all ingredients until smooth.
- Garnish with pealed zucchini, cucumber and/or coriander. A zucchini flower adds a decorative finish.
Serve at room temperature or refreshingly chilled for a hot day. Recipe for two.
Salamat malam, Renée