Let’s Get Cooking: Balinese Gado Gado, cold vegetable salad
Gado gado, a Balinese salad (served with peanut sauce) is a traditional vegetable dish. What makes this healthy salad particularly delicious is, of course, the peanut sauce.
Gado gado is simple and healthy.
This recipe from Payuk Bali: Balinese Cooking Class serves four.
Ingredients for the salad:
– 100 gr (3.53 oz) long beans, cut and blanched
– 1 cup (240 mL) bean sprouts, blanched
– 100 gram (3.53 oz) spinach, blanched
– 1 young carrot, thinly sliced
– 1/4 head of cabbage, chopped and blanched
– 1 piece tempe, deep fried, thinly sliced
– 1 hard boiled egg, cut in wedges (optional for vegetarians)
– 2 tsp. (10 gram) shallots, sliced, fried
– 1/2 cup (120 mL) Balinese peanut sauce (see previous post).
The presentation varies.
Mix the ingredients together as you wish – and serve.
See the previous post for the Balinese peanut sauce recipe.
I think you will love gado gado too.
“Selamat makan” (enjoy your meal),